THE REALITY BLOG

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The police story..

I can talk for any number of days about my experiences with cops. When I say cops, I am not mentioning to those who are responsible of upholding law and order in the place. I am referring to those traffic police officers in Tamil Nadu who are no different from scavengers of money. I have seen traffic police catching people for driving over the yellow line on the road which separates the two sides of the road and acts as a median. I happened to find another funny incident, which proved rather unfortunate for the guy who was riding the bike. The signals in Chennai are fitted with timers and people are requested by the scrolling texts at the signals to switch off their vehicle engines if the counter shows more than 20 seconds for the Green to flash. I was standing right next to this rider. He killed his engine and removed the helmet. He took out the hanky from his pocket and started drying his hair which was completely wetted by sweat. The policeman at the signal saw him without the helmet. That was enough for him to get whatever he expected from this poor man who would be around 25. The policeman walked steadily towards the rider and took the vehicle key from the key slot and walked to the tree shade available near the platform as if he is the Mr.Coolest. This man walked to the policeman and asked him the reason for his senseless act. I overheard what the policeman said and it was 'You were not wearing the helmet'. I could see what that reply would have done to the young man and he was trying to tell him he removed the helmet since it was a red. Now, the rider started to get furious over the entire thing. He said he the engine was killed and that means he wasn't driving. The policeman was not prepared to lend ears to what this young man had to say. Finally, the sergeant returned to the spot after a sumptuous afternoon meal and got to know what happened from the traffic constable. That was when they started demanding Rs.100 as a fine for not wearing the helmet. I thought this guy was cornered. But, to my surprise, I found this guy telling the two policeman that he would get the vehicle from the court after facing the charges there and demanded a Tow van for the safe parking of the two wheeler and even stated that it is the duty of traffic police not only to tow the vehicles but to make sure the vehicles are safe and asked them for the receipt for the tow service. I stopped my bike closer to the platform, about 20 meters from the place where the three men stood, and was watching the grand Tamil Nadu Police department's defaming diplomats demanding (literally begging) for money. The traffic constable brought the bike which was obstructing other vehicles all this while, from the middle of the road to the platform. The policemen started to threaten him that he would be required to pay more in the court and asked him to act sensibly. The youngster let a jolt pass through the policemen when he asked them to take a look at the sticker near the taillight of his vehicle. After that, I was surprised by the way the two policemen let this man go without paying even a single penny. I was waiting for the guy to pass me by so that I can see what gave the policemen the big jerk which made them look like two stupid clowns on the road. I was so happy to find someone literally slap the police officers in front of a huge crowd with the word 'PRESS' behind his bike. Now, I know what I should do to escape these beggars next time. Soon, you can find the 'PRESS' graphics at the rear end of my bike. :P

1 comments:

Dharini Balachandran said...

hahaha...tats a nice idea...actually nowadays police have becum beggars.. i really have a big.. are these policemen collecting money according to their everyday needs(esp. when his wife asks for sumthing)...

My Blog List